The scenic little mountain resort - which is as well one of the Walser villages - with a very special flair nestles at the entrance to the Grosses Walsertal Biosphere Park in Vorarlberg. In long past times the villages of Damuels and Fontanella-Faschina belonged to the same parish and municipality, the "Obere Gericht" area deeply rooted in history.
Until the turn of the century the Walser people were mainly autonomous farmers thanks to cattle breeding, milk and dairy farming coupled with the cultivation of grain and flax. When the valley's road was built in 1885, grain farming almost disappeared as the farmers concentrated on cheese dairies. It helped to bring to market their own products by buying other goods in return.
The Alemannic heritage has been preserved until now, for example the High Alemannic dialect typical for the Walser people as well as the great love for all kinds of music. Although the inhabitants of the "Obere Gericht" area had to struggle for existence over centuries, they loved music and singing during the scarce spare time. Fontanella is known as he "musicians' village". Its name derives from the Roman diminutive word "fontana" = spring or fountain, a healing mountain spring in this area.
Fontanella is the highest mountain village within the valley, situated on a sun-kissed balcony of the Grosses Walsertal. The small but charming settlement close to the Faschinajoch ridge at 1485 m above sea level, offers superb winter and summer holidays in a family-like atmosphere. Indulge in the awe-inspiring panoramic views of the Lechquellen mountain massif and Rote Wand summit. Fontanella and the adjacent hamlet of Faschina belong to the political district of Bludenz.
The parish church of St. Sebastian proudly overlooks the Walser village of Fontanella. On the aite of a chapel, a church was built from 1664 to 1673 with a donation from Magister Ulrich Hartmann, pastor on the other side of the mountain in Damüls in the Bregenzerwald. Soon the church was elevated to a parish church in 1674 and Ulrich Hartmann became the first parish priest. The baroque church building was extended in 1847 and in 1982 a chapel for the dead was added. The ensemble including the cemetery is a listed building and can be visited.